Friday 22 September 2023

Épernay - Dienville 5th - 16th September

I was dropped off by my taxi driver at the Municipal campsite in Épernay. I ate at the campsite restaurant, feeling sorry for myself and icing my leg with ice donated by the restaurant. 

I deliberated overnight about next steps. I couldn't cycle, but also couldn't walk much without pain, I had a hotel room booked in Troyes for the following night, but there are no trains from Épernay to Troyes... Thankfully Dad found and recommended Bla Bla Car. I managed to book a ride with a couple and their van who were travelling that way the next morning. With the help of google translate we spent the journey discussing French politics, train prices and the importance of celebrating diversity in schools. 

Although I couldn't get around much to see the sights, I enjoyed the coloured buildings, the Cathedral, a glass of Champagne (in Champagne) and the library. I had a day of work to complete and was glad to have it as a distraction. 

View from the hotel in Troyes
Champagne in Champagne


Inside Troyes Cathedral
More of Troyes Cathedrale Saint-Pierre Saint-Paul



Troyes heart
Troyes Mediatheque

After three nights at Brit Hotel Comtes de Champagne I needed to get out to save my budget and to work out what was next now that my itinerary wasn't going as planned. I had noticed two lakes not far from Troyes and planned a short, flat ride to a campsite near there as a test for the leg. Over the next couple of days, slow and short rides still resulted in a lot of discomfort making me realise I needed more rest.. and that I needed to seriously consider whether I could carry on the trip at all. I certainly wasn't going to make the whole ride to Florence with so many days not moving. Finally admitting defeat for the time being, I settled in to a great campsite in Dienville and stayed put for 5 nights to rest the leg and to give me some time to decide on next steps. https://domaine-le-colombier.fr/en/home/

A favourite camp spot en route to Dienville

Le Velovoie des Lacs next to Lac d'Orient

Lac d'Orient

Once I accepted the change to my plans, Dienville was a great base for reading, swimming in the lake, walks through local fields and a daily boulangerie (morning) and 'Le Cafe du Centre' (early evening) routine. The campsite also offered me a yurt for my day of work - an unexpected but successful office for the day.

Camp spot companions
Camp spot - church bells every hour from 5am 

Dienville houses
Lac d'Amance



fields around Dienville
Last of the sunflowers



Chateau de Brienne-le-Chateau (through the trees)

Brienne-le-Chateau






Work in a yurt


Essential stats

Distance cycled: 38 miles :(

Mechanicals: none except ongoing leg issues

Books read: 
- The man who died twice- Richard Osman ***
- It's Complicated - Emma Hughes **
- A Room with a View - E. M. Forster ****

Route: 


1 comment: