Friday 7 August 2015

Over the misty mountains cold...

For the first half of my trip I was unsure as to whether I would go through the Alps or whether the coast route into Italy might be better. Then when I reached the Alps I couldn't decide whether to stick to the valley route or head over a few extra mountains. After reading every blog I could find and consulting with a cyclist friend from home (thank you Matt!) I braved it and decided to attempt col de Vars. I planned to see whether I was still alive and liking cycling at the end of it before deciding whether to attempt the next one - col d'Izoard the following day. I left at 7:30am in the hope that there would be fewer proper cyclists on the road to witness my shamefully slow ascent and was rewarded with almost completely empty roads and the most incredible morning mountain light. I was at the summit by 930 feeling very proud of myself when I met a group of British cyclists who thought it would be a good idea for me to do the next col the same day- apparently no harder than the climb I had just achieved. So with new found confidence I set off down the mountain, stopped for a quick bite to eat in Guillestre and then began to climb again. It was much harder and longer than the first and I had to stop numerous times to make sure I didn't die, but I did make it and cried with relief when I got to the top! It was the hardest and most rewarding day of cycling I've ever had. So glad I made the decision to go over the mountains and I can't wait for more mountain time when I get to the Dolomites.

Beginning my first ascent

All sorts of routes around mountains

Morning views along the way

Yes it says 10%. Turns out that is quite hard when it goes on for a long time and you are carrying your home on your bike.


Morning mountain light


In action

Pride at the top

The second ascent- any excuse to stop for a break

Another excuse for a break


Passing through the Casse Deserte shortly before the summit. Look for the road cutting through the scree. 



Pride (and relief) for the second time

I spent a couple of days in Briancon, wanting to make the most of my time in the mountains, before one final col climb to Montgenevre and then down into Italy. The descent from Montgenevre to Susa was along one of the most incredible roads I've experienced. Twisting and turning through valleys, clinging to mountain sides, catching glimpses of churches and forts and feeling the exhilaration of being amidst all the beauty!

Briancon


I got a cable car up as high as possible and pottered about on top of the world. 




This guy was in the cable car on the way down with his new pet. All good fun until he accidentally pulled one of his legs off. 

Not the best photo but the evidence of my third col

Then it was Turin which I passed through quite briefly before an intense, muggy, hot, flat and quite boring (I judge myself for saying that but I just couldn't find much to get excited about!) couple of days riding through industrial areas and rice fields north to the lakes. I met Dad near to Gozanno for our first lake swim and we're now into a week of touring the lakes, swimming and eating well. More on that next time!  

No comments:

Post a Comment